Adapted from Emily Bites
The traditional method for making this meal is to coat the chicken with grated Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs, because thats where the name comes from. But we are making a different version that is called Chicken Mozzarella.
Slow Cooker Chicken Mozzarella
- 1/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 T flour
- 4 (4 oz each) raw boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1 lb total)
- 2 egg whites
- 1 ½ cups marinara sauce (I used a whole jar)
- ¾ cup 2% shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Using a small skillet, bring bread crumbs over medium heat, until browned on the bottom. You will need to stir every couple minutes. Then once finished, transfer to a small bowl.
- Combine your flour and cleaned chicken breasts in a large Ziploc bag and seal shut. Shake until the breasts are coated with the flour. Sort of like, shake and bake.
- In a shallow bowl, lightly beat the 2 egg whites. AND get your small bowl of bread crumbs as well. Doing an “assembly line”, place your floured chicken in the egg whites and then press into bread crumbs on both sides of chicken.
- Once finished with the “breading” of your chicken, place each breast into your Crock Pot. And then pour your marinara sauce on top.
- Place the lid on your Crock Pot, and allow to cook on LOW for up to 6 hours, or until chicken is fully cooked through. About 10 minutes before serving, add your shredded cheese on top and allow to melt.
- Serve with pasta, salad or your favorite Italian entrees!